My thoughts on what I think is Billy Joel's masterpiece.
Special thanks to Gus Skinnas of SONY Digital Audio, Fred Layne of Studer, Revox, America and Alan Silverman.
Complete your Billy Joel collection. The Nylon Curtain (LP, Album, Pit). The Nylon Curtain (Cass, Album).
Goodnight Saigon" is a song written by Billy Joel, originally appearing on his 1982 album The Nylon Curtain, about the Vietnam War. It depicts the situation and attitude of United States Marines beginning with their military training on Parris Island and then into different aspects of Vietnam combat. The theme of "Goodnight Saigon" is the poor treatment Vietnam War veterans received.
Band Name Billy Joel. Album Name The Nylon Curtain. Labels Columbia Records. Members owning this album4. 5. She's Right on Time.
Exclusively for Prime members. We can hear the past, present and future of Billy Joel on this album and we can hear the strong influence of his rock idols, including 'The Beatles'. 7 people found this helpful.
The Nylon Curtain is the eighth studio album by American singer-songwriter Billy Joel, released on June 28, 1982 and produced by Phil Ramone. The Nylon Curtain peaked at No. 7 on the Billboard albums chart, with two million sales in the . It was one of the first albums to be digitally recorded, mixed, and mastered.
While Billy Joel has long admitted to idolizing Paul McCartney. And Where’s the Orchestra? - a wistful McCartney-esque curtain closer-also keeps to a vaudevillian spirit. But it’s offset by the expansive love song, She’s Right on Time. Coming after the frolicsome but forgettable Glass Houses, The Nylon Curtain finds Billy Joel on higher artistic ground than ever before.
With this powerful song cycle, Billy Joel turned his attention to what was happening with baby boomers and their world in the ’80s. On Allentown, he addressed the death of manufacturing and its effect on the working class, using the sounds of factory machinery as a rhythm to push his stomping piano and anthemic melody. The songwriting and production are ambitious throughout, especially on Goodnight Saigon, a dramatic seven-minute tour de force about Vietnam vets, bookended by the sound of helicopters. The Nylon Curtain Billy Joel.
The Nylon Curtain, 1982. Scandinavian Skies, 06:01. Where's the Orchestra, 03:17.
Tracklist Hide Credits
Strings – String Fever
Drums [Field Snare] – Bill Zampino
|B1||She's Right On Time||4:11|
|B2||A Room Of Our Own||4:00|
Strings – String FeverSynthesizer – Rob Mounsey
|B5||Where's The Orchestra ?
Accordion – Dominic CorteseCello – Charles McCrackenSaxophone, Clarinet – Eddie Daniels
- Arranged By [Horns & Strings] – Dave Grusin
- Artwork [Album Art Coordination] – Paula Scher
- Bass – Doug Stegmeyer
- Design [Front Cover Design] – Chris Austopchuk*
- Design [Inner Sleeve Design] – John Berg
- Drums, Percussion – Liberty DeVitto
- Engineer [Assistant] – Andy Hoffman, Larry Franke, Michael Christopher
- Engineer [Associate] – Bradshaw Leigh
- Engineer, Remix – Jim Boyer
- Lead Guitar, Acoustic Guitar [Lead] – David Brown
- Mastered By – Ted Jensen
- Other [Production Manager] – Kenneth Topolsky
- Photography By [Back Cover] – Benno Friedman
- Producer – Phil Ramone
- Producer [Assistant] – Laura Loncteaux
- Rhythm Guitar, Acoustic Guitar [Rhythm] – Russell Javors
- Violin [Concertmaster] – David Nadien (tracks: A1, A3 to B3, B5)
- Vocals, Piano, Synthesizer, Organ [Hammond], Melodica, Songwriter [Words & Music] – Billy Joel
NotesRecorded at A&R Recording and Media Sound Studios, New York.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Label Code (Side 1): MX201830 (TC38200)
- Label Code (Side 2): MX201831 (TC38200)
- Matrix / Runout (Side 1 etched): SBP237821 - 1 MX201720
- Matrix / Runout (Side 2 etched): SBP237821 - 2 MX201721
|QC 38200||Billy Joel||The Nylon Curtain (LP, Album, Pit)||Columbia||QC 38200||US||1982|
|35DP 34||Billy Joel||The Nylon Curtain (CD, Album)||CBS/Sony||35DP 34||Japan||1984|
|CBS 460186 2||Billy Joel||The Nylon Curtain (CD, Album, RE)||CBS||CBS 460186 2||Europe||Unknown|
|TCT 38200||Billy Joel||The Nylon Curtain (Cass, Album)||CBS||TCT 38200||US||1982|
|S 85959||Billy Joel||The Nylon Curtain (LP, Album)||CBS||S 85959||Spain||1982|